Renal Cell Live!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bodies for Science

One topic covered on Talk of the Nation (8/15) was the current round of exhibitions, BodyWorlds. Donated bodies are plastinated (all liquid removed and replaced with a polymer), stripped of skin, and exhibited in various settings and poses to illustrate individual anatomical features. There are many, many ethical questions regarding informed consent on part of the donors, and the profitability of the exhibits. Many callers and commenters mention how educationally powerful, inspiring and spiritually empowering the exhibits are.

During my last visit to Cleveland, Dr G mentioned jokingly how unique I am - having renal cell metastasize primarily to the liver is relatively uncommon; I've worked with so many drugs; I have definite sets of reactions to various classes of drugs - but of course all of us RCC patients are unique both in our cancers and our response to drugs. I told him that I have considered donating my body to science so that someone might learn more. His response was that, unfortunately, bodies "donated to science" often end up as everyday anatomy subjects and that one cannot currently specify how one's donated body might be used.

The BodyWorlds concept is one way, perhaps, that others might see what my cancerous liver looks like and how the long-term effects of RCC affect my body as a whole. Is it something I'd consider? Perhaps; perhaps not. I think I'm doing the right thing, right now, to be open to clinical trials as much as possible - I know that I'm contributing to a "body of knowledge" in this way, so to speak.

Medications have been adjusted (more Hydralazine) and I'm feeling better. I suppose there will come a point when something stops working and we'll have to find another combination of blood pressure meds that work, but that's not unexpected for "normal" people either.

1 Comments:

  • I say go for it. If anyone can dictate how things will go it is you.

    By Blogger Carol, at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home