Renal Cell Live!

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ceremony of the Keys

It's been a long week spent fruitfully at the old house in town, sorting, boxing, pitching and moving. Friends Dick & Mary gave 3 days of hard labor to get this done; Friday we all cleaned like mad, and at 5:00 we turned over the keys to the new owners. I stood in the yard and bawled - not that I'm unhappy to be done, or unhappy that this nice couple will be getting their first home, but I did so love that house! However, I love this one too. Sentimental old fool, that's me. At least the memories are good ones.

Tomorrow is my 54th birthday. This time last year I felt so terrible that I was quietly convinced I wouldn't live to see this birthday. This time last year I looked so terrible that I suspect others thought so too.

Last year, I was too weak to push open the wooden restroom door at the local Applebee's; I would have to wait for someone to go in or come out. This year, not a problem. Last year when we moved, I had to sit in a chair and direct others. This year, while I couldn't tote and carry all day, I did my share. I can run up a flight of stairs now without stopping or wheezing. I can be busy all day without needing a nap. I can, in short, carry on a normal life, with only my normal amount of laziness intruding to slow me down.

Even if I don't make it to my 55th birthday, I look on the last 6 months of normalcy as the most wonderful gift I could ask for. Blind me with science any day, if this is the result!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home