Renal Cell Live!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Aches and pains

Happy 4th of July - I hope that all your fireworks have been bright and safe!

I've been troubled the last few days with sharp stomach pains, intermittent but coinciding unfortunately with mealtimes. Time to go back to my files and research all the side effects for my 8 prescriptions, I'm afraid. This can be a nuisance - thank goodness for the MedlinePlus drug information files on the Internet, as those patient information leaflets always seem to disappear when one needs them.

Once I've looked at all the information I can determine whether or not this paticular problem might be a side effect of one or more drugs (so far, I've found it for at least 3 of my prescriptions). I'll see if the symptoms get worse. If they don't I'll talk with Dr G next week when we're in Cleveland. If they do I'll call his office tomorrow.

Gone are the days when every ache and pain made me panic - might this be a sign of the cancer's return? Does every other patient feel this way or am I the only one? Am I going to be [crippled, bald, incapacitated, incoherent, comatose - whatever!] for the rest of my days because of this?

I know my body well enough now and have lived with renal cell long enough to know that I'm most likely to be in trouble if I develop severe diarrhea or severe confusion. Almost everything else that I've come across so far can be controlled through dosage adjustments or other medications. It takes a while to gain that level of - call it confidence - in interpreting one's symptoms. And, I am never going to try to self-diagnose. I am my first line of defense, but the heavy artillery remains in my doctors' hands.

Much to Marmaduke's displeasure (the 19-lb one-eyed Maine coon cross who's sprawled over my papers next to me) I'm heading into town for more adventures at the old house. Cat logic: you're here, I'm here, why should you want for more? Telling him that it's only temporary doesn't cut it ...

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I don't think I can find the words to describe how interesting your blog is. I never thought before about what a thin line there is to tread: of being the watchman for your own health and staying knowledgable about your condition and options without falling down the slope of self-diagnosis.

    If you're searching for lost patient education pamphlets, you might see what's available at Consumer Health Complete, a new resource available from Ohio public libraries and MPOW.

    By Blogger yarmando, at 5:58 PM  

  • yarmando, you are a treasure (as we have always known, and marvel to have it reinforced so often). I'll definitely take a look at it. And how lucky we Ohio library patrons are!

    By Blogger rcclive, at 6:47 AM  

  • When can you trust that you are thinking clearly and are not befuddled? I never know when I'm being incredibly stupid.

    By Blogger Swanknitter, at 12:33 AM  

  • Actually, when I have confusion it builds up over several days. I feel an almost physical detachment from the real world as it develops, and can gauge pretty well when it's coming on. May not be the case for everyone but I can see that pattern in myself.

    By Blogger rcclive, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home