Renal Cell Live!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Magic numbers

Yesterday was another long day in Columbus, this time for tests and a couple of treatments. A little background here: kidney diseases of all kinds bring different results, and cancer can have many complications and associated problems. In my case, because of the cancer (as a kidney disease) I have high blood calcium levels, and I have anemia.

So I take my knitting and books to Columbus every other Friday. Every two weeks my CBC (Complete Blood Count) is tested for hemoglobin levels. If they're below normal I generally receive an injection of Aranesp to combat the anemia. In addition, every 4 weeks my blood chemistry is tested, and I receive an infusion of Zometa to control the blood calcium level.

General procedure: wait for the blood draw. Take 5 minutes for the blood draw. If it's just for a CBC, wait 45 minutes for the labwork; if for CBC and blood chemistry, add another hour for the chemical analysis to be completed. If CBC shows normal or near-normal hemoglobin levels, raise hands and dance because there will be no Aranesp injection. If for CBC and blood chemistry, get the 15-minute Zometa infusion regardless.

The last two CBCs have shown hemoglobin levels in the normal range - that is, normal for real humans, not just me! So I've gotten to skip two injections. If I get a third pass I might get to discontinue the Aranesp - however, that hasn't happened yet in two years. Boo-hoo. (The darned things sting like mad - probably the most unpleasant injection I've ever had to take).

Anemia? High blood calcium? Are these important - they sound pretty minor. But anemia leads to fatigue, a great enemy. And high blood calcium, if untreated, can lead to irreversible dementia. I think I'll take my medicine.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Hello, dear. Thank you for explaining all this. Your link to the wellness community doesn't work (took me to The Evil Empire)

    By Blogger Swanknitter, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home