Renal Cell Live!

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The prodigals return

Back from the lake, and a successful fishing trip. I caught my share of zebra mussels, gobies, and freshwater drums - a.k.a. "sheepsheads", as well as one 16" walleye and a good-sized catfish. The 16" descriptor is very important - Ohio fishing rules prohibit keeping walleyes below 15"; "good-sized" is all I can say because the catfish was too lively to measure but he was probably 20". I gave said catfish to the charter captain since it managed to give him a pretty solid bite and he expressed interest in returning the favor. Saint H caught 3 walleyes and we returned with fillets for some evening's dinner.

Sheepsheads and catfish are examples of "rough fishing," because they're not considered desirable amongst the purest of fishermen. Actually, they're fun to catch because they fight like the dickens. Sheepsheads are valuable too because they are known to eat zebra mussels, so I'm always glad to seem them returned to the water alive. Let's get those little buggers!

I lasted almost the entire trip of 7-1/2 hours; finally put the pole down and sat in the shade for the last 45 minutes or so. I wasn't sure if I could handle the trip but the challenge and thrill of fishing was more than enough to overcome any conscious feeling. (I truly consider it to be zen-like. Probably the fish don't agree with that assessment.) Even though it was hot I was sensibly dressed in jeans, t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, bandana and boonie hat, neoprene shoes, and SPF 50 sunscreen. I missed a couple of knuckles when that was applied and they are now bright red and a little rashy-looking; it doesn't hurt or itch so it doesn't bother me. I doubt I will ever see whether I can stand to be in the sun. I used to be able to tan but it's fine if I don't manage it again. No mosquitoes present but I managed to get the bites before we left home, and the usual torture ensues. Thank goodness something is normal!

Cats survived two nights without us and seem happy to see us. I suspect they'll sleep on the bed even though it's quite warm, so that we know they're glad we're back.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Do your medications make you sun-sensitive?

    By Blogger Swanknitter, at 4:46 AM  

  • One of the common side effects of Nexavar is, indeed, sun sensitivity. That's also common with antibiotics - I found that out by accident once; this time I knew better.

    By Blogger rcclive, at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home