Renal Cell Live!

Friday, June 16, 2006

Let's go fishing, eh?

This weekend marks my first return in several years to my favorite sport, fishing (that is, the only sport I participate in). There's nothing like drowning worms in Lake Erie, in the company of good friends and fellow zealots. My dad was a great one for fishing (my parents went fishing in - one of the "M" states, Michigan or Minnesota - on their honeymoon -- no idea what my mom thought about that, but they stayed married regardless) but I didn't get the bug until 10 or 12 years ago. Our friends M & D's annual walleye charter is this weekend. I'm finally feeling good enough to go again, and I hope we all catch something besides mosquito bites and sunburn.

The best thing about feeling so good is that I can take advantage of life as it used to be prior to diagnosis. I now feel better than I have for 6 or 7 years. I generally have to pick and choose what I do since I get tired pretty easily, but there's a great satisfaction to doing something I like to do.

I am fortunate to have fairly sedentary interests - reading, knitting, spinning - fishing and hiking are the exceptions and I haven't been up to trying those until recently. I have been knitting since I was 11 (that would be 1963), inspired by my aunt's Christmas present of a knitted Chanel suit (complete with pillbox hat and purse) for my Barbie doll. I still have doll and suit. Somehow Barbie has lost her shoes and underwear over the years, but my, she is stylish on the surface. My first knitting effort was a striped wool sweater in shades of brown and rust, never finished, but I learned on it and have delighted in knitting since.

Anyway, I'll be picking out a small project to take along - probably socks for Saint H (my husband). I could make a thousand pair of socks for him and he'd be happy, even if he never wore them all ... give me a baggie, yarn and needles and I'm good to go ...! That's why I always have multiple socks in progress. Never a dull moment.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home