Renal Cell Live!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

On being a perfect patient

Every time I check in for a procedure, or am in the hospital, or see a new doctor, I get asked a set of questions. The questions are consistent, almost unvarying, and depend on my memory for answers.

Sometimes I'm not capable of answering those questions, and sometimes the person with me doesn't know enough details to answer for me. So I've made up a sheet that I carry with me at all times, that hangs on my refrigerator, that my friends have copies of ...

The sheet lists my name and address; my emergency contacts; my doctors, their locations and phone numbers; my diagnoses; treatments I've taken and the dates; surgical procedures and dates; allergies; medications and dosages. Nurses are happy to have a list to consult and, in at least two emergency room settings it's saved time and given ER personnel concise answers under trying circumstances.

I keep thinking of things I should add, like my blood type, height and weight, plus details about my mediport. It's up to me to think ahead - no exaggeration that my life could be at stake.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home