Renal Cell Live!

Friday, April 11, 2008

One Thing Leads To Another

Last week we trekked to Cleveland Clinic for the usual scans and appointments. This time there's no unqualified "stable" report, I'm sorry to say; rather, there was a tiny bit of growth in 3 lesions. It's not enough to force me off Nexavar, thank goodness, but it's the first that we've seen for over 2 years.

I'm always let in for a battery of standard labwork. Once in a while either Dr. G or Dr. SC will decide to follow one set of results with more investigation. I don't think it's from alarm on their part, but rather a desire to know more completely what's going on with me.

This time, Dr. G zeroed in on MCV (mean cell volume) - my levels indicate that my red blood cells are smaller than the norm. This could be from internal bleeding (on a microscopic level) or from anemia. My money's on anemia, given my history, but I'm undergoing a stool card test just to be sure. If those results are positive I suppose I'll have to go the endoscopy and colonoscopy route.

If negative, I suppose I'll be looking around for tools to boost my iron count. That remedy will be determined by finding something that doesn't interfere with absorption of other medications. Sometimes I feel like we're doing an enormous jigsaw puzzle without having the picture on the box for reference ...

Emma's birthday sweaterI passed along the sweater I'd made for Dr. G's baby's first birthday. It's only 4 months late; I wasn't finished with it by her birthday, and I forgot to take it to the January appointment. Fortunately I'm certain it's something she'll have to grow into anyway. I'm told that her favorite color is purple - mine too!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home