Renal Cell Live!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Stable Once More

Once again, a drive to Cleveland Clinic for yesterday's appointments and scans. Once again, the verdict is "stable disease." Sure, I'd like to see more reduction, but I know the side effects could be unbearable if we increase the dose, and stable disease on a half-dose is pretty encouraging. So we'll accept these results and hope they continue for the nonce.

Usually, Cleveland Clinic's scheduling department makes my appointments. The appointment notification comes complete with two bottles of the chalky delight known asReadicat, a barium sulfate contrast medium used with C/T scans. This last time, however, no Readicat - was I to be spared? Not likely; all these years of scans have made me unwillingly knowledgeable about the procedure. So, I called and was told to come into the scan center an hour or so in advance to pick up a substitute.

I don't know what the substitute is - probably also barium sulfate in a different medium, appallingly mixed with a diet drink flavoring that does nothing to disguise the taste. It's water soluble so it gets to work quickly. Unfortunately it made me quite sick to my stomach - the term "gut-wrenching" has taken on a whole new meaning - but 18 hours later I think I'm finally done with the stomach cramps. Much as I don't enjoy Readicat, I much prefer its chalky texture to the dilute horror I worked with this time.

We lost our wee Maggie on Saturday. Those of you who have children (furry or otherwise) understand how I feel right now. I know that the ache won't go away, ever.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home