Renal Cell Live!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Wandering Mind Falls Into Deep Waters

I don't know why my mind works this way. I take many prescriptions; I use the toilet; we have a septic system; the septic system leaches into an underground waterway. What happens to the drugs? Is this a thought process that normally occurs to people early on a Sunday morning??!

At least I know I'm not the only one wondering. Scientists in Germany have been studying this very question since the mid-90s at least, and there are research reports from the US as well. According to Science News, in some cases as much as 50% to 90% of a pharmaceutical substance can be excreted by the body. It appears that ozonation is effective against many pharmaceutical residues of the studied compounds and products, and that longer detention, denitrification, nanofiltration and reverse osmosis also produce beneficial results.

I don't know if there is ongoing research on this question; I suspect there is, but it takes a long time for research to get published. And is this question a priority for any of our national regulatory agencies? The FDA reduced manufacturer reporting requirements in July 1997, according to the Science News article cited above.

Instructions are posted for restroom use during chemotherapy, at the infusion center where I receive Aranesp and Zometa: sit down on the seat; stand up when finished, lower the lid; flush twice; continue this procedure for two days following chemo administration. What happens with chemotherapy residues? Is anyone researching the effluent life cycle of the new, targeted therapies such as Nexavar and Sutent?

According to the German study, the most difficult residues to treat are iodinated x-ray contrast media. Every time I have a C/T scan with contrast, the final word from the attending nurse is "be sure to drink more water than normal so you can flush that from your kidney." But what will flush it from our environment?

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Yikes. I hadn't thought of that; I was only worried about dyes. Neurontin is not metabolized at all (and they aren't really sure how it works) so there's a lot of it going down the sewer from our house

    By Blogger Swanknitter, at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home