Renal Cell Live!

Monday, September 04, 2006

Why Dilaudid?

I'm not a fan of opiates - I like being rational and in control of myself, my mind and my reactions. There are times, though, that pain interrupts life - not regularly, and not too shatteringly, but often enough and subtly enough that it cannot be ignored. So I have a prescription for hydromorphone or generic Dilaudid, 4 mg tablets. Why am I taking an opiate?

Ibuprofen is hard on the kidneys. Acetaminophen is hard on the liver. Aspirin interferes with clotting. With one kidney, a compromised liver and a history of internal bleeding, I don't have recourse to over-the-counter painkillers.

I take hydromorphone when I find myself aching head to foot, tired and miserable. I take it perhaps twice or three times a week - one tablet only, just enough to take the edge off and relax my body. Otherwise I can't sleep and the misery will spiral into something worse. I suspect that later, as my disease progresses, I will have a harder time controlling pain, but now I'm content to take a single pill once in a while for quick relief.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home