Renal Cell Live!

Friday, September 11, 2009

A Tale of Two Kitties

Life is returning to normal here, following emergency surgery for Marmaduke last Saturday. Duke, for those who don't know, can be summarized as a smart, cute, part Maine coon who lost an eye at six months to an infection and then moved in with us. He's a charming cat who thinks he's a dog, mostly; and last week when his empty eye socket swelled alarmingly we headed for emergency vet services at Animal Care Unlimited in Columbus. We've known Dr. Don Burton for years so it was an obvious solution to the holiday closing of our own vet's office. We left him in good hands for his surgery and went home to await the results.

We stopped for brunch in town and were heading back home in mid-Saturday traffic. We were slowing down for a stoplight when the passenger's window of a pickup truck right in front of us opened. An arm shot out, and a black-and-white kitten was thrown onto the pavement beside the truck.

We followed the truck as it turned to enter a local shopping center; the car beside us stopped and the driver hopped out to pick up the kitten. I dialed 9-1-1 and apologized but reported my emergency, including the idiot's license number, and left my contact information with the officer. We backtracked to make certain there was no carnage on the highway, then went home.

I was so angry I thought I would throw up. Why do people treat cats so terribly? I have always loved and found comfort in cats; in many ways they're my children. I contribute to some very good charitable organizations for humans, regardless, but I spoil my kids, darnit.

I haven't watched the papers to see whether an arrest was made, and I haven't been contacted. But I hope the 3 idiots in the truck were stunned that anyone would care about some poor little bundle, enough to try to get them punished for their actions.

In the meantime Duke's had his drainage tube from surgery removed, he's still playing it for a little sympathy, but he's over the worst of it. I trust he knows he's loved.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home