Renal Cell Live!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bam!

We went off to Cleveland for the second treatment yesterday. We spent less time at Club Vampire - no need to search for veins, thank you very much. The trial protocol requires only an hour's monitoring for the second and third treatments in each cycle, so the waiting time was cut by three hours.

I'd always maintained that Benadryl doesn't affect me, when warned of its drowsy factor. I now have to amend that. Benadryl in pill form hasn't affected me in the past, and may not do so in the future. However, Benadryl as an infusion is another matter altogether.

Picture yourself sitting quietly in a chair, talking with your beloved and your friendly nurse. You've got a pile of knitting on your lap and lots of free time in your near future; it's a wonderful prospect provided that you don't get sick or have a reaction to the treatment. Then someone steps up with needle in hand, says, "Here's your pre-medication dose of Benadryl," and it's injected into the line leading to your port and thence directly into your bloodstream.

Suddenly you feel not quite sick, not quite awake and not quite coherent. Your knitting is in hands that don't belong to your body; your loved one is floating away, and your nurse is asking you questions that your brain can't process. For my part, I feel like the inside of my mouth has suddenly been sprayed with glue. I've called into a local radio talk show a couple of times, and find the slight delay between speaking and broadcast to be very disconcerting. Being on Benadryl is a lot like that!

I have to say I've fallen asleep very quickly both times, and suspect that this will become the new normal routine. Likewise, it seems to take a long time for the effects to wear off, but sometime around mid-afternoon I've managed to start feeling normal again, both times. I hope that will also continue to be the norm.

Since we got out early, we managed to squeeze in a visit to Cleveland's fabulous West Side Market. Eleven dollars bought us almost more produce than we could stagger away with; and we didn't even make it all the way around the market. I see more trips there in the future!

My laptop is being evaluated for repair. I hope to have it back soon; friend M has given me carte blanche to use her desktop machine whenever I need to. So email is backing up and I'm not looking forward to plowing through it all when the time comes ...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Why are you getting Benadryl prior to your treatment? Are they using it as a sedative?

    By Blogger Swanknitter, at 2:57 AM  

  • Benadryl is administered as a pre-medication to diminish the chance of allergic reactions to the trial medication.

    By Blogger rcclive, at 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home