Renal Cell Live!

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Aches and Pains

I might as well catalog what remains with me since going off Nexavar. I stopped using it in February when it became apparent that the tumor in my right lung was growing; I figured it would take some months to see what side effects would stick with me.

I still have some edema in my legs and feet, particularly my left foot. Perhaps this is related to the relative severity of hand/foot that I had in my left foot, whenever those episodes cropped up? At any rate, if I'm on my feet for long periods of time and especially if the weather is hot, or if I'm sitting still for long periods, my left foot invariably swells. The skin on my left shin is always slightly tender, and I've had swelling as far up as my knee on really bad days. Last week Dr. SC at OSU told me that most of his renal cell patients have swelling in the lower limbs, so I guess I should not be surprised. Whether it's a condition of the disease or of the drugs, I can't say. Since February the severity has gradually decreased, so what's left I can certainly live with.

I still have joint pain. Again, this seems to be a common and relatively permanent result of taking antiangiogenic drugs. It's controlled with Dilaudid, and I can live with it.

I still have fatigue. I generally get up with Saint H to see him off, and now I stay up for a couple of hours beyond his leaving so that I can give Duke his morning insulin shot. Then I'm ready to stretch out for a couple of hours; often I end up taking a nap in the afternoon, aided and abetted by Duke. I have been fatigued since long before my diagnosis, but it's gradually gotten better over the last four years. Generally, so long as I don't overextend, I can keep up with everything needed to run the house. I can live with that.

Today is lightly overcast, and tomorrow promises to return to real July heat and humidity. The fledgling barn swallows are perched in the shade on the back of the house, squalling to be fed and the adults are wheeling through the air obliging them. I can definitely live with that, too!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home