Renal Cell Live!

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Just One Of Those Days

Yesterday we went through the end-of-cycle screening tests. The all-day affair was not quite a comedy of errors, but we ran into a few oddments through the day, including an hour-and-a-half wait for the C/T scan. For some reason all C/T scans were taking place in the central facility rather than that of the Taussig Cancer Center (where one rarely has to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes).

I've had enough experience with these to wear no metal - pull-on elastic waisted pants, no jewelry, no zippers - so I don't have to strip down and wear a gown. It's a lot more comfortable and in the long run a lot quicker. While I waited for the scan, I ended up with my arms wrapped around a stranger; a woman in her early 40s, already a cervical cancer survivor, facing something unknown, possibly pancreatic cancer. She was cold, nauseated, and frightened, and I just couldn't sit there and leave her to her demons. I tried to keep her warm, and I let her talk.

I think everyone with cancer has hit the wall, the low point, whatever one wishes to call it, and we all hit it more than once over time. I've always had friends and family there to talk me through it. Can we do anything less than return the favor when needed?

Screening tests turned out well enough that I'm still in the trial. Onward and upward - back to Cleveland tomorrow for Monday's treatment.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Betty's been asked to join a support group for people who have just been told they have the breast cancer gene. She was very uncertain that she could make a difference and I tried to encourage her just to let people to have another person to talk to.

    By Blogger Swanknitter, at 9:14 AM  

  • hello from tokyo. i do exactly the same as you at CT scan. I also had a kidney cancer and i bookmarked your blog so, I came to say hello to you. :) i put my url just in case. http://blog-of-grace.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger grace, at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home