Renal Cell Live!

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Seventeen and Counting

Yesterday was our 17th wedding anniversary. Amazing how fast the years have gone by; it doesn't seem possible that it's been that long. Time truly does fly when one is having fun.

We had a quiet Thanksgiving at friends D & M's, playing Texas Hold'Em poker and Trivial Pursuit until midnight. Their family includes a 13-year old fanatic poker player who can barely be persuaded to eat before the cards and chips come out (he won, of course). It reminds me of holidays at my grandparents in the 1960s when we would all crowd around tables in the living room to play a card game called "Oh Hell." I don't remember the rules but suspect these are close to what we played. Maybe we kids liked it because part of the game included swearing, something of a rarity in my family (at least at the time).

Saint H was deemed healed and given a release to return to work. He put in the full week this week. Jamie drew a scaled-down version of her masterpiece for him, and several others of the kids presented him with drawings. I know they all missed him (I certainly missed having him here).

Not having any of my own, I wonder how someone's serious illness is presented to children. I've no doubt there are all kinds of child-rearing advice books that give the basics, but I know I'd be at sea trying to explain it. I'm glad that I don't have to try.

Sandhill, courtesy USGSIt's clouding over and getting quite chilly, and it's supposed to rain and sleet tonight with rain all day tomorrow turning to snow on Monday. Now that's a lovely weekend forecast! We know the front is coming and the cold is here at last, as Saint H reported seeing 20-30 sandhill cranes gleaning soybeans in a field on his way home last night. They're finally on their way south, probably to Texas, to overwinter.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home