Renal Cell Live!

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sticking Point

Last week I went through the office visit routine with Dr. SC at OSU. There was the usual scramble to find a parking place, the usual crush in the waiting room, and the usual pre-appointment bloodwork.

This time I had a new nurse, Tina, in the blood draw area - nice but nervous, getting used to the test requirements for oncology patients. Her partners were swamped, as usual, and it shaped up to be a little more lengthy encounter than normal. I don't mind waiting, as the blood draw nurses are friendly and their work is interesting.

Tina apologized in advance - she hasn't worked with many dual lumen Mediports, so would I please bear with her? (Of course I would; not that I saw much choice in the matter). I bared my Mediport site and settled in, watching her unwrap the test materials and clear away the amazing amount of detritus generated by my port flush and blood draw. Some of the packaging looked different but I didn't think much of it.

A couple of minutes later I sat, gritting my teeth, as she worked to maneuver the needles into the lumens. I try not to complain, but did voice the occasional "Ouch!" as she worked. She apologized; I told her not to be tentative. I harbored doubts about her abilities but said nothing to her; she was clearly aware of it anyway. Finally, the needles were positioned and everything proceeded as usual. She called Jeanne, one of her partners and one of my favorites, to watch and make sure she got everything right. Jeanne said, casually, "I heard you squeak, pal. What do you think of our new needles?"

A-HA. That explained the new packaging. Jeanne said, again casually, "We don't like them; they're awkward to handle and we know that they cause discomfort for patients." I said, "Well, I don't like them either. I'm sure you've all voiced your opinion." - nods - "Would a patient complaint have any effect? Because I'll be glad to lodge one." Then, I knew the answer in advance but asked anyway: "Let me guess. These are cheaper, right?" "You got it, pal."

Phone dialled, supervisor reached, complaint voiced. I've been going there long enough that all the nurses know me; know that I am generally pretty cheerful about what's being done to me; know that it takes something to make me complain.

When things like this happen, I want to grab the beancounter in charge and make him sit through the procedure, just like a patient. I want the beancounter to understand how unfair it is for a nurse to feel compelled to apologize and/or look less than competent for no reason. I want the beancounter to feel the difference that a few pennies makes.

We've all had to go through enough as it is - why should some faceless accountant be allowed to add to the overall helping of misery? Yeah, just sit right here, pal, and take it - see how YOU like it, dammit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home