Renal Cell Live!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Tale of a Toe

Monday I visited the local podiatrist who gamely cut 1/4" of hardened thick skin under the joint of my left big toe. He confirmed that hand/foot is not anything like a "normal" foot problem. He counseled against orthotics, as they don't do much to unload pressure from the big toe. (And I appreciate that bit of honesty, given the $300 or so cost of orthotics).

Then he offered the fact that his daughter is a dancer, and why didn't I check some of the products available at the local dance supply store? So I stopped in, and found a line of products from Bunheads, specially created to relieve the pressure points on dancers' feet. I'm now trying the "Bunion Buster" and found yesterday that I could be on my feet all day and my toe didn't bother me. We'll see how this performs over time - but a $12 fix that's handwashable, reusable and unobtrusive is a pretty wonderful solution!

Yesterday's bloodwork and visit to Dr SC: no Aranesp (hemoglobin 12.6), no Zometa (blood calcium 8.6, normal). I'll be alternating visits to Dr G and Dr SC, seeing one of them every 4 weeks, with attendant bloodwork on that schedule, and we'll resume the drugs when and if they are needed. Hooray!

Now, if only spring would return ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home