Renal Cell Live!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mr. Yuk Is My Friend

Well, it's been an interesting lapse. I developed a salivary gland infection at the end of April (my second in a month) but fortunately was able to get in for an appointment with one of the ENT guys quickly. I'm choking down 500 mg of a sulfa drug twice daily along with Compazine to alleviate the nausea.

At this point I have virtually no appetite; I haven't really been interested in food for about a week. I don't believe it's the Votrient; I'd much rather blame the sulfa drug in hopes that it will stop eventually! You may wonder, "Why sulfa?" Well, as time went on and I developed more and more serious infections from surgery and the like, I was being pumped full of antibiotics. Unfortunately I got hit with side effects pretty hard. I have a list of about 10 allergens now, but at the moment none are sulfa-based. So I guess that's my "drug class of choice" for the time being! And, much as I hate to admit it, it does seem to be working and I'd rather not be sporting an infection.

We've had killer weather too, alternating between hot and dry, and cold and windy and rainy. It's the type of system train that guarantees uncomfortable nights and difficulty breathing. I'm back to sitting up on the couch and snoozing, rather than trying to breathe all night lying on my back. I know it could be worse; we could be flooded. Saint H led a hike in Myers Woods last Saturday. It was damp and chilly but doable.

Saturday night we trekked to Columbus and huddled in a tent venue with 175 other people for the spotlight concert of the Columbus Folk Music Society's annual Central Ohio Folk Festival. My musical hero, James Keelaghan performed for all his chilly friends and warmed the evening greatly. Keelaghan is from Winnipeg, his voice is pure, his poetry unmatched; all in all his music has over the years given me great hope and solace.

We lost a good friend and member of the Renal Cell Networking Group; Gale was diagnosed in 1995 and was always quick to prefer surgery over drug therapy. She was a great-hearted lady; Saint H knew her from their shared times in the 1980s with the Ohio Wildlife Center, and she loved all animals, particularly dogs and horses. Gale and I shared the same birthday, too.

Our local friend who has battled brain tumors for 25 years is nearing her end; she's at home under hospice care. I'm nearly finished with a baby sweater for the granddaughter she'll never see. I always feel that I'm doing something worthwhile when I'm knitting for little ones.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home